Sam and Dean visit a pawn shop looking for the skull of Sarah Good. The owner, Terry, shows them his store of supernatural goods, including dragon's breath. When Terry takes out Sarah Good's skull, the Winchesters reveal that a hunter named Bart Kemp was murdered for it. Terry takes the perfume bottle of dragon's fire and uses it to spray a large flame at the Winchesters, but Sam manages to shoot him. Sam and Dean decide to take the dragon's breath, along with everything else in Terry's shop, back to the Bunker.
Outside the Lebanon Vista movie theater, a group of teenagers share strange stories about the Winchesters. Stacy tells Max she will see her later at "the thing." Before leaving, Stacy remarks that whoever the Winchesters are, they have an awesome car, which gives Max the idea to steal the Impala in an attempt to impress her.
Sam and Dean are in the liquor store when they see the Impala being stolen. They quiz the woman at the post office, who directs them to the diner where Stacy's mother Caitlin works. At the diner, the cook tells the boys about a house on Route 36 where the local kids go to party.
The kids at the party house go through the items they found in the Impala. From an old cigar box, the ghost of John Wayne Gacy emerges and terrorizes a a teen boy named Ethan, attacking him in the bathroom, which sends Ethan quickly running out the house. When a girl, Bea, chases after Ethan, she alerts Sam and Dean as to what happened. When Sam and Dean go inside the house, Sam quickly notices Gacy's cigar box and gets to work trying to burn it. Just as Gacy manifests before Dean, Sam is able to set the box aflame as Eliot, Max, and Stacy rush into the house to witness Gacy's spirit burn away. Sam and Dean explain to the kids that monsters and ghosts are real, but that they cannot tell anyone.
At the Bunker, Sam has identified the Baozhu -- a pearl with the power to grant wishes by giving a person their heart's desire -- among the items confiscated from the pawn shop.
Dean wishes on the Baozhu in the hope of ridding Michael from his mind. A figure appears and attacks them and is revealed to be their father -- John Winchester -- from 2003. They talk about everything that's happened since his death: how they saved the world multiple times, discovered the truth about the Men of Letters from their grandfather, and live in the Bunker with Castiel and Jack. Mary returns and they reunite for the first time since her death in 1983.
Sam is concerned about what ramifications John's return will have, while Dean just wants to spend time together and have a family dinner. While he looks through the lore books, John talks with Sam about their fight the night Sam left for Stanford. Sam tells John that while he thinks about him a lot, he never thinks about their fights. Sam felt bad about how he never got to say goodbye before finding John on the floor in the hospital. Sam acknowledges that John did the best he could for them.
Sam agrees to go with Dean into Lebanon to buy ingredients for dinner. Strangely, people they know in the town don't recognize them. Then they see an FBI "Most Wanted" poster for Dean, and find an online video that shows Sam is an internet-famous corporate lawyer who espouses kale and says he has no time for family. They theorize this is the effect of removing John from the timelines in 2003.
Meanwhile, Zachariah and Castiel from 2003 appear in the diner and interrogate the teenagers and Caitlin to find out who is meddling with the timeline. Sam and Dean arrive, allowing the townspeople to escape. Castiel doesn't recognize Sam and Dean and attacks them. Sam manages to kill Zachariah, and uses the banishing sigil to send Castiel away.
Back at the Bunker, Dean explains to John the consequences of his presence, including that Mary would never have been brought back from the dead. John agrees he needs to return to the past. He also tells Dean that he never meant for his sons to have to live the hunter life as it was supposed to end between the yellow-eyed demon and him. He wanted Dean to have a normal life and have a family of his own, but Dean asserts that he has a family. After sharing their first meal as a family, they gather around for one last tearful goodbye. As John holds Mary's hand, Sam smashes the Baozhu, sending John back to 2003.
As John wakes up in the Impala back in 2003, he gets a call from Dean. He tells Dean that he had "one hell of a dream" and that he will see Dean soon.
- "Till It Shines" by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
- (plays over the montage of the Winchester family eating their final dinner)
Eliot: I mean, think about it. Where did they even come from? Them or their weird sidekick with the trench coat. And what about that kid with the dumb Bambi look on his face all the time?
Sam: I-I know you need -- or you want some sort of rational explanation for what happened here, but there isn't one. My brother and I, we hunt things. Evil things that shouldn't exist.
Dean: And we are damn good at what we do.
So, you saved the world?
Dean: More than once.
Then it's all true. God, the Devil, you boys smack in the middle. Now you live in a secret bunker with an angel and Lucifer's kid.
Dad for me? That fight that was a lifetime ago. I don't even remember what I said, and -- I mean yeah. You know what? You did some messed-up things. But I don't I mean, when I think about you and I think about you a lot I don't think about our fights. I think about you I think about you on the floor of that hospital. And I think about how I never got to say goodbye.
John: Sam. Son. I am so sorry.
I'm sorry, too. But you did your best, Dad. You fought for us, and you loved us, and that's enough.
Basically, uh, if you don't go back, Sam never gets back into the life, um, and Mom, she, uh...
Dean: Well, without everything that we did -- with God, The Darkness -- she never comes back. Sam thinks that she'll just fade away.
Okay. I mean, me versus your mom? That's not even a choice.
Dean. I, uh -- I never meant for this.
Dean: Dad, we pulled you here.
John: No, son. My fight. It was supposed to end with me, with Yellow Eyes. But now you -- you are a grown man, and I am incredibly proud of you. I guess that I had hoped, eventually, you would get yourself a normal life, a peaceful life, a family.
I have a family.
John: All right. Near as I can tell, we have two choices. All right, we can think about what's coming. Or we can be grateful for this time that we have together. Now, me I choose grateful. So, to whatever brought us together, we owe you one. Amen.
Once we send Dad back it's like none of this ever happened. He -- He just goes back to -- to to being Dad.
Dean: You saying you wish things would be different?
Sam: Don't you? Can you imagine -- Dad in the past, knowing then what he knows now? I I think it would be nice.
Yeah. I used to think that, too. But, uh, I mean, look, we've been through some tough times. There's no denying that. And for the longest time, I blamed Dad. I mean, hell, I blamed Mom, too, you know? I was angry. But say we could send Dad back knowing everything. Why stop there? Why not send him even further back and let some other poor sons of bitches save the world? But here's the problem. Who does that make us? Would we be better off? Well, maybe. But I got to be honest -- I don't know who that Dean Winchester is. And I'm good with who I am. I'm good with who you are. 'Cause our lives -- they're ours. And maybe I'm just too damn old to want to change that.
My girl. I miss you so damn much.
Mary: Me too.
John: You two. You take care of each other.
Sam: We always do.
Dean: Good to see you, Dad.
John: I am so proud of you boys. I love you both so much.
I love you, too.
John: Dean. No, I'm okay. I just I just had one hell of a dream. Yeah. No, it was a good one. I'm on my way back. I'll see you soon.
Trivia & References
This was the 300th episode of Supernatural
. A party to celebrate was held for the cast and crew on the 16th November 2018. See 300th Episode Celebrations
for a round-up of all the celebrations. Supernatural
is the longest running U.S. sci-fi show ever on television.
The skull of Sarah Good. She was executed during the Salem witch trials.
- Sarah Good was one of the first three women to be accused of witchcraft and was hung along with four other women during the Salem witch trials.
Now, this -- it's called the Chrysaor. Supposed to be able to cut through anything. Sliced up your pal real good with just one swing, but you -- oh you're a big boy. You might take some work.
- The Chrysaor was the golden sword of Sir Artegal in Edmund Spenser's epic poem The Faerie Queene.
They always talk too much.
- A reference to the trope of Evil Gloating, or monologuing, in which the villain indulges in a long speech that often either reveals their plan or allows the hero time to escape or fight back. In this scene it may also be a call back to the scene in the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indiana Jones is confronted by a sword-wielding assassin, whom Indiana just shoots.
Dean, listen to this -- uh, hangman's rope, fairy dust, John Wayne Gacy's cigar box.
Dean: So we're talkin', like, 31 Flavors of weird, huh?
- A pervasive occult belief is that a hangman's noose has mystical abilities, such as healing various ailments.
- John Wayne Gacy was a real serial killer who became known as the "Killer Clown" due to his dressing as the character Pogo the Clown for children's parties. He was executed at Stateville Correctional Center on May 10, 1994. He was reportedly cremated which is why his ghost is tied to the old cigar box. Incidentally, Gacy was indirectly referenced by Dean in 2.05 Simon Said after seeing Andy's van. He also asked Martin Creaser if his clown drawings were "original Gacy's" in 5.11 Sam, Interrupted.
- "31 flavors" is a nickname for Baskin-Robbins, who are known for their 31 flavors slogan.
Listen, Jack and Cas are out with Jules and her crew, but when they get back, they can give us a hand cataloging of all of this.
- The hunter Jules is named after the Managing Editor of the Supernatural Wiki, Jules Wilkinson, who, along with her crew, is rather fond of cataloging aka maintaining the SuperWiki. The character Jules also appeared in 14.03 The Scar.
You're not gonna believe this. It's called the Baozhu. It's one of eight ancient Chinese treasures. I-It's a pearl that grants wishes.
- The Baozhu is one of the Eight Treasures or Eight Precious Things. The wish-granting pearl or flaming pearl symbolizes the granting of wishes.
Among the artifacts in the pawn shop can be seen a hockey mask like that worn by Jason Vorhees, the villain of the Friday the 13th
horror franchise. In 2008, Jared starred in a remake of Friday the 13th
According to the Internet, you run a law firm and love kale. Wait till you check out your, uh, wannabe TED Talk.
- TED Talks are short presentations people can make that cover any topics, which are posted online for free distribution.
Well, I mean, I'm still hunting, but you're Internet famous. So, what -- is there two of us running around here?
Sam: No, I don't think so. I think it's a temporal paradox. We pulled Dad here from 2003, right? So time is self-correcting. Our timeline is changing to this new one.
- A temporal paradox, is time traveling principle, specifically a "grandfather paradox" where something that is changed in the past, will affect the future.
Yeah, we sensed a -- well, let's call it a disturbance in the Force. And in Heaven, well, we're -- we're not super fond of those.
- This is a reference to the Force in Star Wars, which is the energy field which connects all things.
So, I'm going to ask one more time -- who's been playing Back to the Future
? And you're going to tell me, or he -- What's the phrase I'm looking for? He -- oh -- murders you all.
- Back to the Future is a trilogy of movies from the 1980's about a young man who goes on a series of adventures in a time traveling DeLorean, altering history due to his actions for both the better and the worse.
What did you do, Sam? What did you do? Say it. Speak, Ubu, speak.
- "Speak, Ubu, speak" is a reference to the vanity card for production company Ubu Productions which would speak the phrase "Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog." at the end of the programs they produced.
are the only actors to appear in all 300 episodes of Supernatural.
However, Jensen only appears as Dean
in 299 episodes.
's age at the time of 2.01 In My Time of Dying
would have been 52 years old. With Jeffrey Dean Morgan
's return to Supernatural
in "Lebanon", he is now the same age as John Winchester was in his last appearance. However, as John was pulled from 2003, Morgan is playing John 3 years younger than he actually is.
One of the early reported ideas for the 300th episode at Comic-Con 2018
was for it to be done from the perspective of the town's people of Lebanon, Kansas, and see their perceptions of Sam and Dean in the town. An element of this idea was retained with the teenager Eliot
talking about Sam and Dean's mysterious nature, as well as the Winchester's interactions with the local bartender, Jackson, and the mail woman, Martha.
The monkey on the counter in the pawn shop is the same monkey that used to be on the bar in Harvelle's Roadhouse
, and was last seen in Rocky's Bar
in Dean's subconscious.
In Lebanon, the Winchesters are well known in the town and go by the aliases Sam and Dean Campbell. Campbell is Mary's family name. Also, in 7.07 The Mentalists
The Campbell brothers
, seen in a photograph, also existed and specialized in paintings and writings said to be produced by spirits. They were Allen Campbell and Charles Shrouds and were actually a gay couple who posed as brothers.
Sam and Dean appear to have become something of an urban legend to the kids of the town who note their strange actions, including the times Sam and Dean have driven around with a living being in the Impala
A Castle Storage
facility can be seen near Main Street in Lebanon, Kansas.
is stolen again and taken on a joyride in this episode. In 11.04 Baby
, the car was stolen while the Winchesters were at a restaurant, but they were unaware of the theft as it was returned by the thief, their valet, when they were done eating.
The current date is given as February 7, 2019, the same day that the episode aired. In Lebanon it is known as "Skip Day" when the kids skip school. Ironically some fans skipped school or work to watch the 300th episode.
Sam and Dean appear to be driving a black 1956 GMC 100 -- most likely one of the many classic cars to be found within the Bunker
's motor pool. John previously drove a black 1986 GMC Sierra Grande
after handing the Impala's keys off to Dean. The truck also has the Kansas licence plates that were on John's truck: CSG 8R3.
A serial killer clown, I mean this is like the best worst thing that's ever happened to you, because you love serial killers and hate clowns.
- It has previously been established that Sam is fascinated with serial killers and has a paralyzing fear of clowns.
And you've done this whole time-travel thing before?
Dean: A few times. Actually, uh, our grandfather, your dad -- he's the one that helped us find this place. I think he'd be real happy to know you're finally here.
- Sam and Dean have time traveled in 4.03 In the Beginning, 5.13 The Song Remains the Same, 6.18 Frontierland, 7.12 Time After Time, and 11.14 The Vessel. In 8.12 As Time Goes By, Henry Winchester had fled through time from 1958 to escape the grasp of the Knight of Hell, Abaddon, who later killed him in 2013. Henry was a member of the Men of Letters, who tells Dean he intended to induct John into the order when he was old enough. Henry helps the boys find the Key to the Bunker.
Dad, none of this would have happened without you.
John: It's good. It's fine. I-I went out takin' out Yellow Eyes. I mean, that was the point, right? I mean, get the thing that killed Mom.
- The Winchesters' referred to Azazel as "The Demon," "The Yellow-Eyed Demon" or "Yellow Eyes." His name -- Azazel -- was only revealed by the demon Casey to Dean after John's death in 3.04 Sin City, however John knew to use the Sigil of Azazel to summon the demon, hinting that he knew of Azazel's name. While John was aware of the Princes of Hell, as noted in his journal, it is not known if he was aware that they too had yellow eyes.
, causes some form of interference with angels
, making the area seem "muddy" to their senses.
The Winchesters are shown to now carry angel blades
in sheaths on their belts.
The fight between John, Dean, and Sam in the dark recalls the fight in the dark between Sam and Dean in Sam's apartment in 1.01 Pilot
In the alternate timeline, Dean is wanted for assault, murder, and credit card fraud, and discovers he has a lot of beheadings on his record. Dean's mugshot in the alternate timeline is the same one that was taken in 2.19 Folsom Prison Blues
. Sam runs his own law firm, loves kale, and is Internet famous. Castiel
is still a loyal and unquestioning soldier of Heaven
. As the war with the Darkness
never happened, Mary Winchester
was never resurrected and remains dead. Additionally, Castiel uses Jimmy Novak
as his vessel
despite not needing to possess him in 2008 to safely communicate with Dean.
TED Talk Sam
mentions not having enough time for a family life, suggesting that in the alternate timeline Sam never ended up marrying Jessica Moore
even without Dean dragging him back into hunting.
The alternate timeline Castiel's introduction to the restaurant patrons is almost identical to how he introduced himself to Dean during their first meeting in 4.01 Lazarus Rising
down to shattering the lights and displaying his wings. The major difference is that this Castiel is much more menacing in his introduction.
It's shown that in 2003, the Impala
was still owned by John Winchester
. It would be two years before he discovers Azazel had resurfaced and goes off to hunt him alone, leaving the Impala to Dean. The 2003 Impala is distinguished by the KAZ 2Y5 licence plate, and the side spotlights, which were removed from the Impala in 3.10 Dream a Little Dream of Me
by director Steve Boyum and never replaced.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts