4.11 Family Remains
|Episode #||Season 4, Episode 11|
|First aired||January 15, 2009|
|Directed by||Phil Sgriccia|
|Written by||Jeremy Carver|
|On IMDB||Family Remains|
|Outline||A family looks for a new start in the country. But something is inside the walls of their house.|
|Monster|| Girl in the Wall
Girl in the Wall's twin brother
|Timeline||One month after the events of 4.10 Heaven and Hell|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Sam wakes from sleeping in the back seat of the Impala to find Dean researching cases. Sam complains that they haven't stopped hunting for the last month, but Dean insists they investigate a case in Nebraska, where Bill Gibson was found murdered in a room that was locked from the inside.
They arrive in Stratton, Nebraska, to find the Carter family about to move into the house. Following the death of their eldest son a year ago in a car accident, Susan and Brian Carter are looking for a fresh start with their kids Kate and Danny. Susan's brother Ted is helping them move.
Sam and Dean pretend to be building inspectors and tell them the house has asbestos in the walls and a gas leak and that they should stay in a motel, but after they leave, Ted declares the house okay and the family move in.
Sam and Dean visit the housekeeper, who tells them Bill had a wife who died in childbirth and his daughter Rebecca hung herself in the attic. While both women were cremated, the boys assume a ghost must be haunting the house.
That night Danny encounters a girl - she rolls a ball to him and says he is welcome to stay, but the adults are not. Then as Kate lies in bed, she feels something licking her hand. She assumes it's the dog until the dog appears at the bedroom door.
Kate's screams alert Sam and Dean who rush into the house. They try to get the family to leave but find the tires on all the cars slashed and the weapons gone from their car. They take refuge inside a salt circle in the house, but a girl appears and attacks them, crossing the salt line and proving to be human and not a ghost.
The family rushes outside, but when they regroup, Danny is missing. While Susan and Kate hide in a shed, Ted and Dean check inside the house, and Brian and Sam check the grounds. Dean and Ted find a hidden door into the wall space, and Dean finds a space beneath the floor where the remains of half-eaten rats litter the floor. While he is there, the girl sneaks up from behind and kills Ted.
While Dean swears to Brian he will find Danny, Sam reads Rebecca's diary. The diary reveals that Rebecca Gibson was raped by her own father, Bill Gibson, became pregnant, and hung herself. Entering through a hidden dumb waiter in the kitchen, Dean finds their weapons and Danny bound under the floor space. As he tries to free him, he is attacked by a boy - Rebecca's son. Dean shoots him.
Meanwhile the girl attacks Susan and Kate, until Brian arrives and stabs her. After the case, Dean says he feels pity - and empathy - for the children who were turned murderous by a life of torture. Sam remonstrates that Dean is not like them, and Dean retorts that he was worse, because he enjoyed the pain he inflicted on souls in Hell.
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- Susan Carter
- Brian Carter
- Kate Carter
- Danny Carter
- Bill Gibson
- Girl in the Wall
- Dean's Amulet
- Dean's Bracelet
- Dean's Leather Jacket
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
- "The Charge at Feather River Theme" by Max Steiner
- (the old movie Bill Gibson is watching until the power goes out)
Trivia & References
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- 4.11 Family Remains (transcript)
- Family Remains story arena
- Family Remains Script (Yellow Revisions)
- Casting side for Brian Carter
- Casting side for Danny Carter
- Casting side for Kate Carter
- Casting side for Susan Carter
- Episode Promo: 4.11 Family Remains
- Fresh Episodes Promo: We're sorry to leave you hanging
- Preview of 4.11 by Buddy TV
- Interview with writer Jeremy Carver
- 4.11 Family Remains: I Can’t Fill This Hole, Not Ever by bardicvoice (January 2009); archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Bond, Silvia. 2009. I'm a Little Bit Poltergeist, and You're a Little Bit People Under the Stairs: "Family Remains" Season 4, Episode 11. Pink Raygun, January 20; archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Chan, Suzette. 2009. Supernatural Talk: Tarts talk about Family Remains. Sequential Tart, February 23; archive link