Queerbaiting is a term used for when creators hint at and code a relationship as queer, but never actually make it explicitly queer, in order to attract a queer audience. In Supernatural the charge of queerbaiting has been leveled at the relationship between Dean and Castiel.
The following are articles about queerbaiting in Supernatural.
- Definition and history of Queer Baiting on Fanlore
- Supernatural Has a Queer Baiting Problem and it Needs to Stop on TV Guide
- MTV website Geek News re-posts a survey done by x-cetera on Tumblr about whether fans think Destiel will become canon.
- Dean and Castiel's Reunion and Queer-baiting on Spoiler TV.
- Supernatural fans take Show to task for queer baiting on The Advocate
- Interview: Fangasm: Supernatural Fangirls, Katherine Larsen and Lynn Zubernis on Sequential Tart
- Supernatural Needs to Admit Dean is Bisexual on Policy Mic
- Queerbaited: Homoeroticism & Homophobia in Supernatural in the Age of the Internet by Anna Campbell
- ‘Supernatural’: The Slowest Burn Or Biggest Queerbaiting? Time To Decide by Emma Dailey Mitchell
- Roach, E 2019. "Supernatural Wincest and Dean's Bisexual Panic." in Queerbaiting and Fandom: Teasing Fans Through Homoerotic Possibilities. Brennan, Joseph (ed). University of Iowa Press.