Announcement & Synopsis
On 12 October, 2021 it was announced that Jensen had been cast as a US Marshall in Rust, a Western directed by Joel Souza. It also stars Alec Baldwin, Travis Fimmel and Frances Fisher. Initial announcement about the project was on 29 May, 2020, however filming was delayed due to the pandemic.
Infamous Western outlaw Harland Rust (Alec Baldwin) has had a bounty on his head for as long as he can remember. When his estranged 13-year-old grandson Lucas (Noon) is convicted of an accidental murder and sentenced to hang, Rust travels to Kansas to break him out of prison. Together, the two fugitives must outrun the legendary U.S. Marshall Wood Helm (Ackles) and bounty-hunter Fenton “Preacher” Lang (Travis Fimmel) who are hot on their tail. Deeply buried secrets rise from the ashes and an unexpected familial bond begins to form as the mismatched duo tries to survive the merciless American Frontier.
- A Supernatural connection - one of the Producers on Rust is Anjul Nigam who appeared as Stewie Myers in 3.14 Long-Distance Call!
- Photo from set by Anjul Nigram posted by Jensen.
- Photo of Jensen in costume by Marty Lindsay.
Death during filming & shutdown of production
On 22 October it was reported that there had been an on-set shooting accident, where Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun that killed Director of Photographer Halyna Hutchins, and injured writer/director Joel Souza. Jensen was on set at the time.
- More news on the shooting and pre-existing safety issues on set by the LA Times
- A fundraiser for the family of Halyna Hutchins has been set up by the International Cinematographers Guild.
- Haylna's husband has set up a memorial scholarship in her name with the American Film Institute.
- Eric Kripke calls for filmmakers to replace not use real guns on set: "Someone hurt or killed on my set is my worst nightmare. Sending love to Halyna Hutchins' family, @JensenAckles, cast & crew of "Rust." I'm so sorry. In her memory, a simple, easy pledge: no more guns with blanks on any of my sets ever. We'll use VFX muzzle flashes. Who's with me?"
- Prop Master from Walker explains gun safety on set
- In October 2022, Baldwin and the other producers reached a settlement in its wrongful-death lawsuit with Halyna Hutchins' widow Matt Hutchins.
- On 19 January 2023, it was announced that Alec Baldwin and Hannah Gutierrez Reed (the armorer on set who loaded the gun) had been charged with involuntary manslaughter.
- In February 2023, the parents and sister of Halyna Hutchins filed a civil lawsuit against actor Alec Baldwin and other producers over her death.
- In February 2023, it was announced that production on Rust would resume in spring of 2023, presumably with Jensen still on board. The use of working weapons and ammunition has been banned on set.