Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
Scooby-Doo is the star of a long-running cartoon and movie franchise that started in 1969 with the series Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!
In the series Scooby-Doo is a Great Dane who, along with a group of four teenagers, hunts ghosts and the supernatural, although these usually turn out to be humans. The teenage gang are Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, Fred Jones, and Shaggy Rogers. They travel around in a psychedelically painted van named the "Mystery Machine."
At the 2017 Upfronts presentation in New York, Jared and Jensen revealed that the main news of season 13 Supernatural would be an animated episode set in the universe of Scooby-Doo. This is episode 13.16 Scoobynatural which aired on 29th March 2018. It is based on the original Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode from season one "A Night of Fright Is No Delight." The majority of the dialogue for the animated episode was recorded in April 2017 by Jared, Jensen, and Misha before season 12 had finished filming.
- Episode entry for 13.16 Scoobynatural
There have been many references to the cartoon series throughout Supernatural:
- Dean: Old-school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways... sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside. Mmm, Daphne. Love her.
- Isaac: You guys seem nice enough, but, this ain't 'Scooby-Doo,' and we don't play well with others
- Dean: Where is this little Scooby gang of yours?
The character Fred Jones is named after Fred Jones from the Scooby-Doo series. In the episode Fred is psychokinetic, and has retreated into his mind with the encroachment of dementia. He is able to make manifest elements of the cartoon world in the real world.
- Sam: I'm gonna follow the hotel manager, Dr. Scowley-scowl. He's like a villain from Scooby-Doo.
- Dean: Ruh-roh!
- Ruh-roh! is Scooby's catch phrase.
- Dean: All right, shut up and listen. This is how it's gonna go. You two clowns are gonna get into that mystery machine outside, and you're gonna leave town or I'm gonna put holes in your knees.
- Dean: Listen Velma, this isn't the Scooby gang, okay. So either shut up or get out.
- Crowley: Easy tiger, just trying to help... I'm way more of a Daphne.
- Dean: Well, we'll have a look around. If it is Lucifer, we'll call the rest of the Scooby Gang.
Jack briefly watches the Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! episode "That Snow Ghost."