Timeline (Season 9)
- Days spent on each case include the day after they solve them, if it is shown in the episode.
- Day counts assume one driving day in cases when the boys hear about the case and must travel to the location, unless otherwise stated.
- Day counts count partial days as full days (meaning if an episode starts late at night, that night counts as a day)
- Priority of information sources: A)Dialogue, B)Logic, C)Art/Props Department, D)Other Official Sources, E)Conjecture.
- 1 May 22, 2013 - 9.01 I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here
- 2 May 24 OR May 25 2013 - 9.02 Devil May Care
- 3 May 24, 2013 (Cas) - Unknown - 9.03 I'm No Angel
- 4 June 4 - June 5, 2013 - 9.04 Slumber Party
- 5 June 9 - June 10, 2013 - 9.05 Dog Dean Afternoon
- 6 Unknown 2013 - 9.06 Heaven Can't Wait
- 7 Unknown 2013 - 9.07 Bad Boys
- 8 Unknown 2013 - 9.08 Rock and a Hard Place
- 9 Unknown 2013 (Monday-Friday) - 9.09 Holy Terror
- 10 Unknown 2013 (Friday-Sunday) - 9.10 Road Trip
- 11 Early December 2013 - 9.11 First Born
- 12 December 2013 - 9.12 Sharp Teeth
- 13 Early January, 2014 - 9.13 The Purge
- 14 January 2014 - 9.14 Captives
- 15 Unknown 2014 - 9.15 #thinman
- 16 Unknown 2014 - 9.16 Blade Runners
- 17 Unknown 2014 - 9.17 Mother's Little Helper
- 18 Unknown 2014 - 9.18 Meta Fiction
- 19 Unknown 2014 - 9.19 Alex Annie Alexis Ann
- 20 ~June 7-9, 2014 - 9.20 Bloodlines
- 21 ~June 9-10, 2014 - 9.21 King of the Damned
- 22 June 12- (at least) June 15, 2014 - 9.22 Stairway to Heaven
- 23 ~June 15-16, 2014 - 9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles?
May 22, 2013 - 9.01 I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here
Day Count: 1
Location: Randolf, NY, and Longmont, CO.
We join Dean and Sam at Linwood Memorial Hospital in Randolf, NY, the day after Sam attempted the final trial. Sam has fallen into a coma, and Dean calls on the angels for help. Ezekiel shows up and possesses Sam in order to save him, no doubt saying “I think I’m Gonna Like it Here” to himself once he does. Meanwhile, Cas finds himself in Longmont, Colorado, struggling with his humanity.
- In I’m No Angel, Dean states that Cas called him on a Tuesday. I’m going to chalk this up to Dean being extremely stressed at the time and not realizing that it was a Wednesday – because Sacrifice and I Think I’m Gonna Like it Here cannot possibly occur on the same day.
May 24 OR May 25 2013 - 9.02 Devil May Care
Day Count: approx. 4
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS), unknown naval base, and Eugene, OR.
Sam and Dean try to work out if The Devil May Care, when they drag Crowley to the bunker to try to get demon names out of him. Meanwhile, Abaddon starts her campaign to usurp the King of Hell, and Kevin has doubts. The episode takes place over approx. 4 days, as the boys travel to the Bunker, to an unknown naval base, to Eugene, OR, and then back to the Bunker.
- Kevin says “it’s been a bad couple of days” when Sam and Dean arrive at the bunker, which puts this episode around 2 days after the S8 finale.
- I’m pretty sure that naval bases would be near the coast and not inland, but Sam and Dean still manage to get to one from the bunker in no time (the dead bodies are still in the bus and haven’t been moved by the coroner yet), so what do I know.
- Eugene, OR, is 24 hours away from the Bunker by car
May 24, 2013 (Cas) - Unknown - 9.03 I'm No Angel
Day Count: approx. 5 (Winchesters)
Location: Emory Park IA, Lafayette IN, Detroit MI, The Bunker (Lebanon, KS)
Cas tries to stay one step ahead of the angels as he navigates his way, penniless, across America. Meanwhile, a worried Sam and Dean try to find him. The episode takes place over approx. 5 days (for the boys). It’s hard to tell exactly how far behind Cas the Winchesters are at any given point. Cas travels from Emory Park, IA, to Lafayette, IN, to Detroit, MI, at which point the Winchesters finally catch up with him and then drive him back to the Bunker in Lebanon, KS.
- This episode starts on a Friday for Castiel, but possibly starts on a different day for the Winchesters. The first day with the boys may be days after the first scene we see with Castiel. The Friday that the episode starts for Cas, might actually be the same Friday that the previous episode started on for the boys. They do end up catching up with him in the end, but Castiel is traveling without a car and may in fact have taken longer to get between places.
- Dean has made circles on the map indicating how far Cas could have gotten “1-2-or-3 days out”, which may indicate that it’s only been 3 days since he last talked to him – however, the last episode took place over four days, so this is impossible. It’s more likely that they’re using it to narrow down their geographical area of searching for strange happenings (as they seem to be doing) in an effort to figure out what direction he might be going, or if something bad has already happened to him.
- Sam tells us that two priests were killed in Emory Park, IA, on Thursday, and the article he’s reading tells us that the priests were killed at 11:30pm at night. This puts Castiel’s discovery of the bodies as occurring on Friday morning. We know from their later conversation with one of the St. Anne’s men, that Castiel spent “a couple of nights” at the Shelter, which would indicate that it may have been his first stop after Longmont, Colorado.
- The fact that Sam says “Thursday” instead of saying “yesterday” indicates that the storylines are not happening simultaneously at this point and that the Winchesters are probably a couple of days in the future, and then slowly over the course of the episode the timing of Cas’ storyline and the Winchesters’ storyline synch up until they’ve officially caught up with him.
- The police reports (11/10/13) and evidence bag (Oct. 28th) are all dated in October, but this does not make any sense whatsoever with the chronology of the myth-arc plot, so I’ve disregarded those dates as the production following the practice of default-dating the props to around the time that the episodes are set to air, even though it doesn’t make sense for the narrative.
June 4 - June 5, 2013 - 9.04 Slumber Party
Day Count: 2 (24 hours over two calendar days)
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS)
Sam, Dean, and Charlie have a Slumber Party, when Charlie comes over to take a look at the Bunker’s computer. They spend the night having a Game of Thrones Season 1 marathon and then helping Dorothy to stop the Wicked Witch from opening the door to Oz and destroying the world. The next morning, Charlie decides to go to Oz with Dorothy for an adventure.
- When Charlie boots up her tablet, it displays the time and date as “3:57 Tuesday, June 4.”
- The fact that the episode spills over onto the next day is assumed by the fact that all characters (except Dorothy) change clothes before the goodbye scene.
June 9 - June 10, 2013 - 9.05 Dog Dean Afternoon
Day Count: 2
Location: Enid OK and The Bunker (Lebanon, KS).
It’s a Dog Dean Afternoon, when Dean has to mind-meld with a dog in order to solve a case in Enid, OK. This episode takes place over 2 days, with the boys traveling from the Bunker in Lebanon, KS, to Enid, OK.
- Sam must hear about the case from a hacked police scanner/computer, because they arrive only hours after the police, rather than a day later. The dead taxidermist’s friend informs us that it is Sunday when he explains to Dean why he was surprised there were no entrails in the collection bins.
- Kevin has just gotten back from his vacation to Branson – which to me puts this episode closer to the previous one, as it’s most likely that Kevin was only gone for a few days, rather than weeks. Also, Dean is still very concerned about Sam’s health, which means that it’s probably not long after “Ezekiel” resurrected Charlie.
Unknown 2013 - 9.06 Heaven Can't Wait
Day Count: 3
Location: Rexford ID, The Bunker (Lebanon, KS)
When a rogue angel starts putting people out of their misery in Rexford, Idaho, where Cas has been working as a sales associate at the Gas’n’Sip, Dean heads to Rexford to investigate. Meanwhile, Kevin and Sam try to get Crowley’s help in deciphering the angel tablet. This episode takes place over 3 days.
- The opening death happens on a Monday. Cas reads about it, most likely, on the Tuesday or Wednesday
- The death certificate and crime scene reports for the first victim of the angel both read “Nov. 14th, 2013. However, I’m hesitant to use those dates, as it would mean that 4 months have passed since the last episode, meanwhile, both Abaddon and the news report that Cas watches, both say that it’s only been “weeks” since the events of 8x23-9x01, which would place this episode most likely still in June or at a stretch the beginning of July, otherwise they’d have said, “months.”
Unknown 2013 - 9.07 Bad Boys
Day Count: 3-4
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS) and Hurleyville, NY.
Dean and Sam drive from the Bunker to Hurleyville, NY, to investigate a suspicious death at a reform home for Bad Boys. Sam and Dean spend 3-4 days in this episode trying to find the killer and revisiting Dean’s past.
- 1-2 of the days are spent driving, as it takes 21 hours to drive from Lebanon, KS, to Hurleyville, NY.
- The time references for the present are all over the place in this episode. 1) We’re told that “most boys are on break” – which break, a specific federal holiday or just summer? 2)Ruth tells us that Howard’s death was “a year ago” but his tombstone reads March 1st, 2013. 3)We’re told Timmy was found “about a year ago” and came to Sonny’s three months ago. His file has the date 10/12/2013 in it, but I really think that’s just the props department dating for the approx. time the episode filmed.
Unknown 2013 - 9.08 Rock and a Hard Place
Day Count: 2
Location: Hartford, SD.
Dean finds himself between a Rock And A Hard Place when he’s caught by a pagan god targeting a chastity group in Hartford, South Dakota. This episode takes place over 2 days, with the boys driving from the Bunker to Hartford on the morning of the first day.
- Sheriff Mills calls Sam and Dean in the morning (Sam has fallen asleep next to his breakfast cereal), and they drive the five hours to Hartford that day, meeting up with the Sheriff before they’ve finished cleaning the broken glass from the parking lot.
- Dean discovers that Suzie is a Casa Erotica actress at 5:08. He’s kidnapped “over an hour” later, just before Sam and Jody arrive to warn him of the danger. Dean manages to call Sam as the 8pm train out of Sioux Falls is passing by his location, which is enough of a clue for Sam to find him.
Unknown 2013 (Monday-Friday) - 9.09 Holy Terror
Day Count: 5
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS) and Caribou WY.
“Ezekiel” becomes a Holy Terror when Dean finds out that he’s not what he seems. Meanwhile, angel factions are fighting each other, Cas steals a grace, and Metatron recruits Gadreel. We spend at least 5 days in this episode with the Winchesters traveling to Caribou, Wyoming and then back to the Bunker.
- The bikers are killed on a Monday in 2013, and we first join Sam and Dean that evening on the drive to investigate.
- When we join the Winchesters they are making their way through Colorado (50 miles outside of Fort Collins) towards Wyoming.
Unknown 2013 (Friday-Sunday) - 9.10 Road Trip
Day Count: 3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), unknown location, Somerset PA
Dean, Cas, and Crowley take a Road Trip to rescue Sam. We spend at least 3 days in this episode. The crew drive from the bunker/Lebanon, KS, to an undisclosed location, to Somerset, PA.
- This episode immediately follows the previous episode.
- We see Dean give Kevin a Hunter’s funeral at night, but when he’s back in the library of the Bunker and looks at Kevin’s phone, we see that it’s 12:40pm...which means there’s a gap of time missing between the funeral and Dean getting back to the bunker. For the purposes of the timeline, I’m counting these two events as happening on two separate days.
- By the time Cas shows up, Dean has changed shirts – which to me puts this on the third day. Gadreel runs the red light around 1:38pm according to the traffic camera, which Crowley informs us was “ten minutes ago” assuring us that this is definitely a day later.
- Although we don’t know the timing for this episode, I will say that it has beautiful fall trees in it.
Early December 2013 - 9.11 First Born
Day Count: 24 hours
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS), two unknown locations, and Missouri.
Sam and Cas try to perform a tracking spell at the bunker in order to find Gadreel. Meanwhile, the First Born Winchester agrees to help Crowley find The First Blade and accidentally finds Cain. This episode takes place over the course of 24 hours. Dean travels from an unknown location, to another unknown location, to Missouri.
- Cain retired in 1863 and killed the knights of hell (except Abaddon).
- Tara hurt her knee in 1992, which means that her hunt with John Winchester would have been before then.
- In 9.14 Captives, Dean tells the demon that he and Crowley worked together “last month.”
December 2013 - 9.12 Sharp Teeth
Day Count: 3
Location: Grantsburg, WI
Sam and Dean reunite with Garth in Grantsburg, WI, only to discover that Garth has acquired some Sharp Teeth in the 6 months since they last saw him. We spent 3 days in this episode.
- Garth was hit by the car “a few days ago” at the time that Sam arrives at the hospital.
- It’s been two weeks since Dean split up with Sam in 9.10 Road Trip
- Sam is coming from New Mexico, which means that Sam’s had at least one hunt since the previous episode, First Born.
- Garth has been missing for 6 months. The last time we saw Dean and Sam contact Garth was in 8.20 Pac Man Fever, which occurred sometime around March or April 2013... but that’s not necessarily when he went missing. He was “MIA” by Early May though, when the events of the Great Escapist occurred, which would place this episode in November or December.
- Garth escapes from the hospital at 4:10pm.
- Garth was bit by the werewolf 6 months ago in Portland, Maine. He met Bess almost immediately and then they got married after 2 months (4 months ago.)
Early January, 2014 - 9.13 The Purge
Day Count: 5 (at least)
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS) and Stillwater, MN.
We get to see The Purge, when Sam and Dean investigate bizarre weight-loss deaths in Stillwater, MN. The episode takes place over approx. 5 days at least, with the Winchesters traveling from the Bunker in Lebanon, KS, to Stillwater, MN, and then back again.
- The frequent use of “the other day” to refer to their conversation at the end of Sharp Teeth, means that a few days at least have passed since then.
- The first death occurs on a Monday night, with the body discovered on Tuesday morning, and the story most likely reaching the online paper at earliest on Wednesday.
- The autopsy is dated “2-1-14” – Americans usually date m/d/y, which would place this in early February. However, Feb 1 in 2014 is a Saturday, and I don’t think pathologists work weekends. Our other option is that it’s dated d/m/y and the autopsy is done on January 2, which is a Thursday in 2014 – which lines up better logically for a body that was found on a Tuesday.
January 2014 - 9.14 Captives
Day Count: 2-3
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon) and Wichita, KS.
We get to meet some different kinds of Captives, when Sam and Dean discover that Kevin is haunting the Bunker, only to have him as them to go find his mother. Meanwhile, Castiel meets with Bartholomew. The episode takes place over approx. 2-3 days. The Winchesters travel from the bunker to Wichita, Kansas, and then back to the Bunker again.
- Kevin mutters that he’s spent “months” trying to break through the veil... which means he’s been dead for months.
- Candy only died a week ago.
- Dean tells the demon that he and Crowley worked together “last month”, meaning that this episode must still be in January and First Born had to have taken place in December along with Sharp Teeth.
- Kevin says that his mother “was held and tortured for a year”. He’s probably not being literal, as Kevin found out that his mother was missing in April 2013. So, it’s most likely been less than a year.
Unknown 2014 - 9.15 #thinman
Day Count: 3 (at least)
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS) and Springdale, WA.
Sam and Dean meet up with the Ghostfacers, when they investigate a recently created urban legend called Thinman. The episode takes place over at least 3 days, with the boys traveling from the bunker to Springdale, WA.
- It’s a 21 hour trip from Lebanon, KS, to Springdale, WA.
- Sam mentions that spirits being stuck in the Veil have only been a problem for "the last six months." - this might place the episode in November 2013, if you believe that spirits could no longer enter Heaven once the angels fell. However, Charlie enters Heaven in 9.04 Slumber Party which means that whatever Metatron changed to prevent spirits from entering Heaven would have had to occur sometime between Slumber Party and 9.09 Holy Terror
Unknown 2014 - 9.16 Blade Runners
Day Count: approx. 6
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon, KS), two unknown locations, and Kansas City, MO.
The boys try to hunt down the first blade with Crowley’s help. The odd team of Blade Runners end up tracking the blade down to the home of Cuthbert Sinclair. The episode takes place over approx. 6 days, with the boys traveling from the Bunker, to an unknown location, to the Bunker, to Kansas City, MO, to yet another unknown location.
Unknown 2014 - 9.17 Mother's Little Helper
Day Count: 24 hours over 2 calendar days
Location: Milton, IL, and The Bunker (Lebanon, KS).
Sam travels to Milton, IL, to investigate a case. Meanwhile, Dean stays behind on the pretenses of trying to find Abaddon, but instead indulges in a bit of Mother’s Little Helper and brooding, before hitting a bar where Crowley finds him for a chat. Excluding the teaser death, this episode possibly only takes place within a 24 hour period (over 2 calendar days).
- It’s been “days” since the previous episode, as Sam informs us when he complains that they’ve been “combing through this stuff for days” trying to find Abaddon.
- We know it’s the morning when we first join the Winchesters, because Sam asks if Dean’s slept.
- It’s only a 7 hour drive from Lebanon, KS, to Milton, IL. If he left earlier enough, Sam could have gotten to Milton on the same day to interview the Sheriff and then report back to Dean. He tells Dean that if he doesn’t find anything good by morning, he’ll leave – so it’s that same evening that he meets Julia Wilkinson.
- Dean may also travel to Milton, IL, in this episode. We see him at a bar called “The Milton.”
Unknown 2014 - 9.18 Meta Fiction
Day Count: 3
Location: Locations, including Ogden, in Utah and The Bunker (Lebanon, KS).
Castiel is treated to some Meta Fiction when Metatron abducts him from his motel room in Utah. Meanwhile, Sam and Dean manage to track down Gadreel in Odgen, UT. The episode takes place over 3 days.
- It’s a 12 hour trip from Lebanon, KS, to Ogden, UT. However, I’m guessing that they actually make the trip in one day, as it’s daytime when Cas calls them, and night when they arrive.
Unknown 2014 - 9.19 Alex Annie Alexis Ann
Day Count: 3
Location: Sioux Falls, SD, and O'Neill, NE.
When Sheriff Jody Mills finds a girl, who goes by the names Alex Annie Alexis Ann, being chased by vampires, she calls in Sam and Dean for help. The episode takes place over 3 days. The boys travel from Sioux Falls, SD, to O’Neill, NE, and back again, twice. Jody’s cabin is just outside of Sioux Falls.
- The trip between Sioux Falls and O’Neill takes ~3 hours.
~June 7-9, 2014 - 9.20 Bloodlines
Day Count: 3 (over one weekend)
Location: Chicago, IL
Sam and Dean end up in Chicago helping a cop when it’s discovered that the city is divided between five different monster Bloodlines. The episode takes place over approx. 3 days, most likely over a weekend.
- David Lassiter impersonates the professor while the professor is “away for the weekend.”
- It’s before Spring Finals at university, if we go by the University of Chicago schedule, that would place this episode in June, which matches the logic of the next fact.
- Dean and Sam leave Chicago after Dean gets a call from Castiel who has “a line on Metatron”, which sounds a lot like the set-up/events of the next episode 9.21 King of the Damned, which 9.22 Stairway to Heaven then immediately follows, which would place this episode in June.
~June 9-10, 2014 - 9.21 King of the Damned
Day Count: 2 (Winchesters)
Location: Unknown location (in or close to Missouri) and Cleveland OH.
Abaddon kidnaps Crowley’s son, Gavin, from the past in order to manipulate the King of the Damned. Meanwhile, Castiel asks Dean and Sam for help interrogating an angel who had been boosting about being in Metatron’s inner circle. They then travel from Castiel’s HQ’s unknown location to Cleveland, OH, to take out Abaddon. We spend only two days with the Winchesters.
- Assuming that this episode takes place directly after the previous one. It takes 6 hours to drive from Chicago to in or near Missouri (where I’m placing Castiel’s HQ for the purposes of this timeline.) The Winchesters leave in the morning from Chicago, so they could arrive the same day at Castiel’s HQ.
- Gavin is abducted from Leith, Scotland, in 1723. Crowley tells him it’s been 291 years, confirming that this episode takes place in 2014.
- See Stairway to Heaven notes for date explanation.
June 12- (at least) June 15, 2014 - 9.22 Stairway to Heaven
Day Count: 3 (at least)
Location: Unknown location close to or in Missouri, The Bunker (Lebanon KS), Wellington CO, Pray MT.
After angels start turning themselves into suicide bombers, Castiel calls the Winchesters in for help. While Dean stays to investigate, Sam and Cas follow a rogue angel to what they hope might be the Stairway to Heaven. This episode takes place over at least 3 days, with the Winchesters traveling from the Bunker to Missouri, to Cas’ HQ, and then Sam and Cas traveling to Wellington, CO, and Pray, MT, then back to HQ and inevitably back to the Bunker.
- Finally, the show gives us a date – Sam looks up Josiah’s vessel’s information and discovers that someone “just used his credit card at a Gas’n’Sip”. The date of the purchase is 6/12/14.
- Sam tells us at the beginning of the episode that they just got back to the Bunker “2 hours ago” and then later in the episode we see that Castiel had not gotten the news that Abaddon was dead yet, which to me indicates that not much time has passed between the previous episode and this one. Probably, the only time that has passed is the 15 hours it took the Winchesters to drive from Cleveland, OH, back to the Bunker, plus the two hours that Sam got to sleep before Dean woke him up.
- We don’t know where Castiel’s HQ is, but I’m willing to bet it’s close to Missouri, as the Winchesters were still wearing their FBI suits when they arrived, so I’m not factoring in extra travel time to get there.
- It’s an 8 hour drive from Wellington, CO, to Pray, MT. It’s then a 20 hour drive from Pray, MT, to Missouri. Cas and Sam could have driven straight back, but that would still push them onto a third or possibly fourth day. Personally, I like the idea of the trip taking them two days and them having to sleep in the car together at the side of the road... because I think that’s adorable.
~June 15-16, 2014 - 9.23 Do You Believe in Miracles?
Day Count: 24 hours over 2 calendar days (at least)
Location: The Bunker (Lebanon KS) and Muncie IN.
Gadreel comes to help Castiel and the Winchesters take down Metatron. The Mark of Cain is taking its toll on Dean. Metatron starts his campaign to win have humanity start worshiping him as God. Dean and Sam separately travel from the Bunker to Muncie, IN, and then Sam drives Dean back again after Dean’s confrontation with Metatron. The episode appears to take place over roughly 24 hours spread over two days, at least.
- This episode picks up immediately after the last one.
- It’s an 11 hour trip from the Bunker (Lebanon, KS) to Muncie, IN.
All information for this timeline taken from hells_half_acre's SPN Timeline