Dean: Whatever you saw we'll believe you. Ashley, listen to me. Whatever you're about to say, I want you to know that we've heard worse. We've heard of weirder.
Dean: Werewolves, monsters they're all real. And me and my brother we hunt them, and we kill them. That's what we do.
Do you like your job? I mean monsters.
Dean: What do you mean?
Ashley: I mean monsters.
Right. Do I like it? Uh I do. I mean, there's bad, don't get wrong. There's a lot of bad. Still, it feels good to help people. You know?
Ashley: It's all just so random and awful. Wouldn't it be great if everything was just planned out for you if it was all just already decided?
Dean: No, not really.
No. You're dead.
Lilith: Was dead. Yeah. In the Empty, sleeping the big sleep, until the boss brought me back.
Sam: Boss? Lucifer?
God. I was supposed to get rescued, and in a moment of sweet relief, seduce Dean, blah, blah, blah. Obviously, that's not happening now? So... Oh, well.
Dean: No, why are you doing this? You even said it yourself this is stupid.
Lilith: It is. Do you think I want to be here? I died to free Lucifer from the Cage. I had to die for what I wanted most. And then you two went and screwed it all up.
Why would I ever tell you anything?
Sam: Because I've killed you before and I can do it again.
See, you keep saying that, but you killed me because I let you. Now I'm feeling less generous.
So, what, we're just we're stuck in his in his maze still? And now Lilith is back? I mean, what's he gonna do, just throw our greatest hits at us?
Sam: I mean why doesn't he just kill us already?
Because that's not what he wants. Lilith said that Chuck only likes one kind of ending you kill me, or I kill you.
Dean. My dreams, visions, or whatever they all end the same way, with us killing each other.
Dean: You're just telling me this now?
Sam: I-I-I thought, they must've been some form of, like, messed-up PTSD, but but what if they're not? What if I'm somehow seeing Chuck's endings? You know, different ones.
Dean: How would that be possible?
'Cause of this. When I shot Chuck, the bullet wasn't a bullet. It w it was a-a a piece of me, right? So, what if it created a-a link of some sort, you know? I-I mean, what if what if, I don't know What if somehow I'm in his head?
This was supposed to be over. We were done. We were free. And now What are we supposed to do, man? Do we just keep running in this this freaking hamster wheel until we die? Or until we get boring and he ends us?
Sam: Or we fight.
Fight God? Without the gun? It's God, Sam. And he's coming for us. How the hell are we supposed to fight God?
Trivia & References
- “The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts.”
Yeah, but you two got jobs. You're both leaving. I have a philosophy degree, and I drive Uber.
Dude, ghost peppers are really hot.
- Ghost peppers are one of the hottest forms of chili peppers in the world and are rated at more than 1 million Scoville Heat Units (SHUs). By comparison, Tabasco Sauce is rated at around 5,000 SHUs. Drinking water will only spread capsaicin -- the active ingredient in chili peppers -- around. It is much better to drink milk or yogurt to neutralize the heat.'
Gee. Another one? Well, why don't you tell me about it? No. Come on. I'll, uh I'll Freud you. Keep me awake till we hit Colorado.
- "Freud" refers to the famous Austrian psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, who wrote a book called The Interpretation of Dreams about the symbolism and meaning of dreams.
Hamil and Ford? Wow. That is a deep cut.
- Sam and Dean go undercover as U.S. Wildlife Service agents, with Sam taking the alias "Agent Mark Hamil" and Dean using "Agent Dean Ford". Sam and Dean last used these identities in 1.03 Dead in the Water. "Deep cut", originally a music term, generally means an obscure reference that only people with an intimate knowledge of a topic will get. Additionally, when Eric Kripke was pitching Supernatural, he used the phrase "Star Wars in truck stop America", and described the characters of Sam and Dean Winchester (then Harrison) thus:
- “If Sam’s the good kid, Dean’s the troublemaker. If Sam’s Luke Skywalker, Dean’s Han Solo.”
Did you ever want to be anything else?
Dean: Jimi Hendrix. No, not really. I'm where I'm supposed to be.
- Jimi Hendrix was one of the most influential rock guitarists in history. In 9.07 Bad Boys a young Dean tells Robin that he wants to be a rock star when she asks him what he wants to be.
Let me guess. One of Chuck's lines?
Lilith: Word for word. God He is not exactly Shakespeare. He's more of a low-rent Dean Koontz. I had to listen to his whole "writing philosophy", and his very weird, very perv-y obsession with you. And it always ends the same one brother killing the other. I mean, this world? He could've ended it in so many ways, and he likes that one. You know, I guess that's why you had to see the werewolf bros die the way they did 'cause foreshadowing.
- Dean Koontz is one of the world's top-selling authors, known for writing horror and thriller novels.
Have you ever heard of Lingchi? It's Chinese. It means "lingering death" -- death by a thousand cuts.
- Lingchi was a form of torture and execution used in China from 900 CE until it was banned in the early 20th century.
"Proverbs 17:3" marks Steve Yockey
's final episode for Supernatural
before moving on to his new series, The Flight Attendant
for HBO MAX. Yockey wrote in a Twitter post
- "My final episode of #Supernatural airs tonight with @dicksp8jr at the helm. Was incredibly lucky to work on this rad show with such an amazing group of folks. Enjoy the ride! ☠️🖤"
check's his phone and looks over a series of texts to Cas that read:
- Hey Cass checking in.
- How you doing? Everything ok?
- Cass call me we need to talk.
- Didn't realize you were taking off.
- Service sucks in the bunker, want to make sure you're getting these.
- Call me when you can.
- Want to make sure you're ok.
Sam and Dean use U.S. Wildlife Services ID's from 1.03 Dead in the Water
, with the running joke that Dean does not look like his picture, even though Jensen barely seems to have aged. Meanwhile, no one mentions Sam's ID, despite his photo looking like he is in his early 20's. Sam's Hair
is also in its season 1 hairstyle in the picture as a result.
tells Sam and Dean she was sleeping in the Empty
, when Chuck brought her back. In 13.04 The Big Empty
, the Cosmic Entity
tells the recently awoken Castiel
- "No. No, no, no. Not with me, and I’m the only one that has any pull here. Not Heaven, not Hell, not G-O-D himself. So think harder. Rack that perky little brain of yours."
Nick was also able to call Lucifer
forth from the Empty, suggesting the Entity is not as omnipotent as it claims.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts