5.09 The Real Ghostbusters
|Title||The Real Ghostbusters|
|Episode #||Season 5, Episode 9|
|First aired||November 12, 2009|
|Directed by||James L. Conway|
|Written by|| Teleplay:|
|On IMDB||The Real Ghostbusters|
|Outline||Sam and Dean find real ghosts when Becky invites them to a Supernatural convention.|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Following a text message from Chuck, Sam and Dean arrive at a hotel, which is the site for a Supernatural fan convention. They find out that it was their over-enthusiastic fan Becky Rosen who sent the message, and have to deal with several Sam and Dean wannabes participating in a fictitious ghost hunt.
After a convention attendee is seriously injured by real ghosts, the Winchester brothers start researching and find out that there's a real ghost haunting the hotel, whose name is Leticia Gore. Gore, who supposedly killed four children by scalping them, was the orphanage caretaker. Together with two copycat Winchesters, Demian and Barnes, they set out to find Leticia's bones to salt and burn them.
When accomplishing their task, they accidentally set the ghosts of the boys free. They find out that in fact the three boys killed Leticia's son and that only the caretaker was able to keep them under control. With Leticia gone the ghosts lock all participants in the hotel and wreak havoc on them. Sam and Dean ask Chuck to keep everyone in the auditorium while they deal with the ghosts, using an actress/Hooters waitress to assume the role of Leticia Gore in order to control the children's ghosts.
However, the plan fails when her cell phone rings, identifying her as a human. The ghosts attack Sam and Dean, but are destroyed by Demian and Barnes, who were able to salt and burn the children's bones just in time.
Upon leaving the hotel, Demain and Barnes give Dean a pep-talk about why being Sam and Dean isn't so bad and don't believe him when he introduces himself as the real Dean. Becky turns her obsession to Chuck and reveals to Sam that in Chuck's book Time Is on My Side, Bela didn't give the Colt to Lilith, she gave it to a demon named Crowley, giving Sam and Dean their first real lead on the Colt.
- Sam Winchester
- Dean Winchester
- Chuck Shurley
- Becky Rosen
- Demian and Barnes
- Leticia Gore
- Ghost Children
- Acting in Unison
- The Colt
- Dean's Leather Jacket
- John's Journal
- Meta Episodes
- Puppy Dog Eyes
- Queer and Gender Diverse Characters
- Sam Girls
- Star Wars
- The Supernatural Books
- Television Without Pity
- "Topsy Turvy" by The Bughouse Five
- (plays when Sam and Dean enter the hotel and see everyone in costume)
- "Trouble Baby" by The Bughouse Five
- (plays when Sam and Dean talk to Chuck about not publishing the books)
- "Whiskey" by Swank
- (plays when Dean and Sam are having drinks and the guy comes in and tells them about the ghost)
- "Ain't Got Nobody" by Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers
- (plays when Sam and Dean talk to Demian and Barnes after they face the ghost, then try to leave the hotel)
- "Ring-a-Ling" by Miss Eighty 6
- (the fake Leticia Gore's ringtone)
Sam & Dean: See what?
Chuck: I...yeah, I really don't know.
Chuck: An archangel, and I didn't want it!
Sam: Yeah Chuck, we know.
Dean: Great. We got a real ghost, and we got a bunch of dudes pretending to be us poking at it.
Sam: No way this ends well.
Barnes: Because we're fans. Like you.
Dean: No. I am not a fan, okay. Not fans. In fact, I think that the Dean and Sam story sucks. It is not fun. It is not entertaining. It is a river of crap that would send most people howling to the nut house. So you listen to me. Their pain is not for your amusement. I mean do you think they enjoy being treated like... like circus freaks?
Demian: Uh....I don't think they care, because they're fictional characters!
Dean: Oh they care. Believe me. They care a lot.
Demian: No you're not.
Chuck: Yeah Sam. Sorry.
Becky: Will you be all right?
Chuck: Wow. Really?
Sam: No not really. We have guns and we'll find you.
Trivia & References
- LARPing stands for Live Action Role Playing.
Leticia Gore Actress: Busy.
Dean: Well you sure look lovely tonight. Especially for a dead chick.
Leticia Gore Actress: Buddy, I have heard that line 17 times tonight, okay? And all from dudes wearing MacGyver jackets.
- MacGyver was an '80s action/adventure series about secret agent Angus MacGyver, who was known to wear a leather jacket.
Hotel Manager: Look, I don't have time to play Star Wars, guys. Go ask the guy in the ascot.
- Simple reference to the Star Wars series.
- Gore Orphanage is the site of a number of local ghost stories and legends in Ohio (Eric Kripke's home state).
- Creepy children, the evil innocents, are a stock character in horror movies, In Supernatural creepy children include Peter Sweeney in 1.03 Dead in the Water, Missy Bender in 1.15 The Benders, Melanie Merchant in 1.19 Provenance, Maggie Thompson in 2.11 Playthings, the Changelings in 3.02 The Kids Are Alright, the Girl in the Wall and her brother in 4.11 Family Remains, Jesse in 5.06 I Believe the Children Are Our Future and Lilith in 3.12 Jus in Bello, 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked, and 4.06 Yellow Fever.
Leticia Gore Actress: I work at Hooters, in Toledo. No, you can forget it.
Sam: You'll be safe, we promise. This is really important.
- Hooters is a food chain known for their voluptuous wait staff.
- Fans have long referred to Sam's Puppy Dog Eyes - the pleading look he gives someone, frequently Dean, when he wants something.
- A reference to the phrase "Jumping the Shark" a reference to the gimmicks used by a show in its death throes. See 4.19 Jump the Shark for why Kripke called an episode after this trope.
Jared and Jensen always say to us like the joke is they always say to me and Bob, “Why don’t Sam and Dean have bungee cords on their wrists?”
For the amount of times that guns and knives are knocked out of their hands. Here’s a good game, count how many times Sam and Dean lose their weapon and the reason we do it is a really important blocking reason, they’d be stupid to walk in unarmed but we still have to put them in enough danger for the bad guy to monologue or to feel like they’re in danger before someone else unexpectedly walks in with the weapon that the other person dropped.
Demian: Where's the body buried, kid? We'll light her up nice and toasty.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- 5.09 The Real Ghostbusters (transcript)
- The Real Ghostbusters Script with Director's notes (Production Draft)
- The Real Ghostbusters Technical Package
- 5.09 The Real Ghostbusters: I’m Not Sure You Get What The Story’s About by bardicvoice (November 2009); archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Bond, Silvia. 2009. Because That's What Sam and Dean Would Do: "The Real Ghostbusters" Season 5, Episode 9. Pink Raygun, November 17; archive link, spn-heavymeta
- Chan, Suzette. 2009. Supernatural Talk: Tarts talk about Supernatural 5.09: The Real Ghostbusters. Sequential Tart, January 4; archive link