7.20 The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo
|Title||The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo|
|Episode #||Season 7, Episode 20|
|First aired||April 27, 2012|
|Directed by||John MacCarthy|
|Written by||Robbie Thompson|
|On IMDB||The Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo|
|Outline||Sam and Dean outsmart Dick Roman and the Leviathans with the help of hacker and IT girl, Charlie Bradbury. Bobby shows signs that he is becoming vengeful.|
|« Previous Episode | Next Episode »|
Dean and Sam are at a cabin trying to figure out what the Leviathans are up to. Bobby, having trouble mustering the energy to appear, shows up and tells them about Dick's plan: making state-of-the-art slaughterhouses to feed on the entire human population. Dick's company has bought a lot of restaurants and is selling food with their additive that dumbs down people. He also wants to cure humans of diseases, such as cancer, to make them the perfect food source. They receive an e-mail message from Frank Devereaux’s hard drive informing them that he's dead and someone is trying to hack into it and access information on the brothers new aliases, etc. Thanks to the tracking device installed in the hard drive, they can see that it's inside none other than Richard Roman Enterprises.
Five hours earlier, an employee of RRE, Charlie Bradbury, arrives at work. She hacks into a Republican Super PAC, transferring funds to an environmental organization. Her boss, Pete, calls her into his office where Dick Roman is waiting for her. He's impressed by her hacking skills and gives her a job to do: hack Frank’s hard drive within the next three days, otherwise she will be fired. She gets to work, hacking into the drive, which sends the e-mail to the Winchesters.
Sam and Dean want to break into RRE headquarters, but Bobby points out the Leviathans can easily ID them. He suggests mailing in his flask, but they don't want him to succumb to his rage and turn into a vengeful spirit. They leave for Chicago. The next day, Charlie has cracked the hard drive's protection and reads all of Frank's files on the leviathans. She also finds out that Dick is their leader. She goes to the parking garage to see Pete, who's taking a smoke break. She's just in time to see Dick order one of his minions to kill Pete and assume his identity. Charlie goes home and starts to pack, when Sam and Dean show up. She picks up a fake sword to use against them, but it breaks easily. The brothers use borax to confirm that they’re all not Leviathans, then fill her in on what's going on. They were able to find her due to Frank's system hacking her webcam. Sam and Dean convince her to help them hack into Dick's emails, but they can only be accessed from within his office. Nevertheless, she agrees to help.
At RRE, later that night, Sam and Dean wait outside in a van, disabling the security cameras to buy Charlie some time - 15 minutes. On one of the cameras, they notice something in her bag - Bobby's flask! Dean calls her, telling her not to lose it. After a little pep talk from Sam, Charlie goes in, using a fake security key to get past the guard at the desk. However, there's another guard keeping an eye on Dick's office. She explains to Dean that she's a lesbian, and he helps her to flirt her way past the guard and into the office. Once there, she hacks into Dick's computer and begins to download all his files onto a flash drive. The guard heads toward the office, but Bobby closes a door to distract him, giving Charlie enough time to pretend to be coming from the bathroom when the guard enters the office. She grabs the flash drive and leaves.
At her desk, Charlie sends the files to the brothers, learning that Dick has an important package from Iran coming into a private airfield in about 42 minutes. She leaves an e-mail for Dick, saying the plane is running late, buying Dean and Sam time to go and switch it with a suitcase containing a borax bomb. Charlie then erases any info on the Winchesters, just as Dick shows up, asking if she's found anything on the hard drive. Meanwhile, the Winchesters open the package and discover that it contains a hunk of red clay. They call Charlie, but she doesn't answer.
Back at the office, Bobby is trying to keep his rage under control. Victor, a Leviathan sent to pick up the package, arrives with a suitcase (the one left by the brothers) and takes it to Dick in his office. When they open it, they both get sprayed in the face with borax, prompting Dick to order a lock down of the building, trapping Charlie inside. Bobby uses his powers to crack the front door’s glass, just as Dick and Pete arrive. Bobby tosses Pete, sending him crashing into Charlie and breaking her arm. He then pushes Dick back with a lot of force, but Dick just laughs. Sam and Dean burst in and take Charlie and Bobby out of there. Dick goes back to his office and eats Victor for losing the special package to the Winchesters.
After Charlie’s arm is taken care of at the hospital, the brothers take her to a bus depot, telling her to start a new life. Before leaving she reveals that this won't be the first time she's done this and that she does not want the brothers to ask for her help again. Dean and Sam then wonder what to do with the flask, since Bobby is showing signs of becoming a vengeful spirit.
- "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves
- (plays while Charlie is walking into the building and in the elevator)
- "Vistas" by Network Music Ensemble
- (plays over the SucroCorp commercial)
Charlie: Mine is Princess Leia in a slave bikini straddling a 20-sided die. I was drunk, it was Comic-Con.
Sam: Because we can't - yet.
Trivia & References
Charlene "Charlie" Bradbury = Charlene McGee is the pyrokinetic girl in Firestarter. The surname Bradbury is a reference to acclaimed science fiction writer Ray Bradbury.Carrie Heinlein = Carrie is the eponymous protagonist of Carrie and Heinlein refers to writer Robert A. Heinlein.
- In the 1973 dystopian sci-fi movie Soylent Green, Charlton Heston uncovers the fact that the food the population is subsisting on is not made of plankton, but is actually processed from human corpses.
- This is a reference to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, who was shot in the head, as was Bobby.
- The concept of the one percenter is used to refer to inequity of wealth distribution in the U.S. where 1% of the population control the majority of the power structures and wealth. It became a concept widely used during the Occupy movement which started in 2011.
- Super PACs are U.S. political action committees that must do any political spending independently of campaigns. They can raise funds from corporations, unions and individuals without legal limits.
Charlie: Seriously? Wargames?
- Wargames is a 1983 movie starring Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy, about a young hacker called David who accidentally starts playing games with a defense computer and nearly causes a nuclear war. As with Charlie's computer as she tries to hack Frank's hard drive, David finds a list of games, starting with games like chess, checkers, backgammon, and poker and then progressing finally to Global Thermonuclear War. In the movies the creator is Stephen Falken who names the computer after his dead son Joshua.
- Charlie tries "Joshua" as the password on Frank's hard drive, and it responds with "Greetings Professor Falken." Just as she thinks she has broken the password, Frank's voice taunts her with "Nice try Zero Charisma." Zero Charisma is a Dungeons and Dragons reference. When all charisma points are lost it means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, helpless state. The term "Zero Charm" was also used in the tech-caper movie 1992 movie Sneakers.
- Dean: Perfect, it's in the middle of the Death Star.
- Charlie is wearing a Princess Leia t-shirt with the slogan "Rebel" on it, and claims to have a Leia tattoo.
- On her desk, Charlie has bobblehead Darth Vader, C-3P0 and stormtrooper dolls, a Yoda Pez dispenser, and at least one Star Wars comic.
- Charlie's co-worker Harry says "I love you" and she responds "I know." This exchange is a quote from The Empire Strikes Back, between Han and Leia just before Han is frozen in carbonite. Watch the video.
- Bobby: Okay. Let's Yoda this.
- On her desk Charlie has two Harry Potter and a Dumbledore figurine, as well as Hermione.
- When she thinks she has first cracked Frank's password Charlie says "That was hardly the Chamber of Secrets"
- When Charlie loses her nerve before breaking into Dick's office, Sam gives her a pep talk:
- Sam: Who's your favorite Harry Potter character?
- Charlie: Hermione.
- Sam: Hermione. Well did Hermione run when Sirius Black was in trouble? Or when Voldemort attacked Hogwarts?
- Dean: Seriously?
- Sam: Shut up.
- Charlie: No of course not.
- Sam: What did she do?
- Charlie: She kicks ass! She practically saves Harry in every book. And then she ends up with the wrong...
- Sam: Stay on track. She kicked ass, right? So what are you going to do?
- Charlie: Kick it in the ass!
- Sam: Good girl.
- Dean: (to Sam) Oh, you go, dumble-dork.
- Charlie: Dick Roman gave me an assignment.
- Harry: Is that good?
- Charlie: It means the Eye of Sauron is on me.
- Harry: Well, if you need anything I'll be back in the Shire.
- Charlie's laptop desktop is a picture of Arwen, which she also has a framed print in her apartment.
- Charlie slashes at Sam with a replica of Sting, Frodo's sword.
- To ride the pine means to not be involved in the action. It comes from the sporting world where a player may be made to sit out a game on the (pine) bench.
- Bruce Springsteen is a rock musician and Eli Manning is a quarterback for the New York Giants football team. Tim Tebow is a quarterback for the New York Jets and Joe Biden was the Vice President of the U.S. when the episode aired.
- La Roux is an English electro band fronted by the androgynous Elly Jackson. Charlie obviously likes some electropop as she also mentions downloading the latest Robyn album. The board also has a grocery list of: veggies, granola, cereal, arugula, yoghurt and pop tarts. Charlie also has a poster for the movie Coven. A poster for this movie was also seen at the Ghostfacers' base in 3.13 Ghostfacers
- This could be a shout-out to the line "I volunteer as tribute," which Katniss Everdeen says in The Hunger Games, which had just opened a month before this episode aired.
Charlie: I sing when I'm nervous; don't judge me!
Dean: Judgement free zone!
- In 1.04 Phantom Traveler, Dean hums Metallica on the plane because he says it calms him down.
- Veronica Mars was the lead character, played by Kristen Bell, in the TV series of the same name, about a teenager who moonlights as a private detective. Kristen Bell was also the original choice for Ruby in season 3
- This is a quote from the 2010 movie The Other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. At the same time Charlie makes the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign with her fingers as popularized by Spock in Star Trek.
Sides, Scripts & Transcripts
- Episode Title
- Sera Gamble talks about upcoming episodes and reveals a guest star with TV Guide
- Official Synopsis
- Promo pictures of special guest star by TV Guide
- Promo clip
- Short clip of Dennis Kirk mixing the ep posted by Todd Aronauer
- Bob Singer introduces the episode
- Promo pics for the episode
- Interview with Felicia Day by Zap2It
- Interview with Felica by TV Guide
- Interview with Felicia Day by EW
- Interview after the episode with Felicia by Winchester Radio