|Location||no fixed address|
|Episode(s)|| 4.01 Lazarus Rising|
4.02 Are You There God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
4.03 In The Beginning
I'm the one who gripped you tight, and raised you from perdition.
– Castiel to Dean, 4.01 Lazarus Rising
Castiel is the Angel who rescued Dean from Hell, according to Castiel on a command from God. His handprint is burnt into Dean's arm.
His true voice is piercing to the human ear and only certain people can hear him properly this way or so he claims, and looking on his true visage will burn a human's eyes from their head, as Pamela Barnes found when she tried to summon him in a seance. It will also burn the eyes of humans possessed by demons as shown in the diner scene when Sam is attacked by a blind demon. When he meets Dean he is inside the body of a man he says "prayed for it".
Misha Collins who plays Castiel reports that "Kripke wanted to base the look of the character on the comic book character ‘Constantine’" Source.
Castiel tries to 'speak' to Dean after his resurrection, but all Dean hear's is a piercing sound. When Pamela Barnes conducts a seance to reveal the being who saved Dean, Castiel warns her off, but she persists and is blinded when she encounters him. Again, while Dean is alone in the hotel room in Pontiac, Castiel tries to speak to Dean, but his 'voice' shatters all the glass in the room and makes Dean's ears bleed.
Dean is intent on summoning Castiel, and so he and Bobby prepare an empty warehouse with protective sigils and symbols and Bobby performs a summoning ritual. When Castiel appears, Bobby and Dean shoot him with rock salt to no effect. Dean stabs Castiel with Ruby's Knife, also to no avail. Castiel causes Bobby to pass out and then reveals to Dean that he is an angel, who saved him from Hell on God's command. "I gripped you tight and raised you from perdition." He tells Dean that God "has work for him."
Castiel appears to Dean in Bobby's kitchen, and confirmed that the spirits who attacked them were Witnesses. He tells Dean that their summoning by Lilith broke the first of sixty six seals, and that when the last one is broken Lucifer will be freed.
Castiel in lore
According to "Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels", Castiel is an Angel Of Thursday in the occult lore. This may be a reference to the fact that Supernatural airs on a Thursday night on The CW.
Castiel in fandom
- spn_castiel - Castiel group on LJ
- fromperdition - LJ fan community dedicated to Castiel
- deancastiel LJ community to the relationship between Castiel and Dean
- 23 September, 2008 Interview with Misha Collins Part One and Part Two by sfuniverse
- 24 September, 2008 Interview with Misha Collins by tvaddict
- 24 September, 2008 Interview with Misha Collins by movieweb
- 25 September, 20 Interview with Misha Collins by Eclipse Magazine
- 25 September, 2008 Video interview by CW Connect
- 1 October, 2008 Interview with justjared
- 2 October, 2008 Interview with CW Source