|Name|| Chuck Shurley
|Occupation||Author of the Supernatural Books, Prophet|
|Episode(s)|| 4.18 The Monster At The End Of This Book|
4.22 Lucifer Rising
5.01 Sympathy For The Devil
5.04 The End
5.09 The Real Ghostbusters
- Chuck is a Prophet of the Lord.
- He is the author of a series of books called "Supernatural", which he writes under the pen name Carver Edlund. The contents of the books are actually Sam and Dean's lives, the details of which come to him in his dreams.
- He is protected by the archangel Raphael.
- The last names of Sam and Dean were never entered into the Supernatural books. Chuck even told Dean and Sam that he never told anyone about their last names, nor did he write it down on side-notes.
- Chuck's first vision of Dean and Sam flowed; at first he thought it was just a crazy dream.
- Chuck goes through some kind of a process, which leads into his visions.
1. A severe headache
2. To ease the pain he takes aspirin, which doesn't work
3. He then drinks a great amounts of alcohol till he crashes
4. Finally he falls asleep. While he's sleeping his prophecies start to manifest as his dreams
- Chuck's visions appear in black and white.
- The Comic Book Shop Guy revealed to Dean and Sam that these books didn't sell very well.
- The Publisher of the Supernatural Books felt that these books were being misjudged. She even wanted this series of books to continue, Dean quickly replied "Oh no, no, no god, no. I mean, why -- why would you want to do that? You know, it's, uh, such a complete series, what with Dean going to hell and all."
- Chuck's last name appears on the subtitles as Shirley.
- Two of the shows writers are called Jeremy Carver and Ben Edlund, this is most likely how he got his name.
- In episode 3 of the Ghostfacers Web Series, the Ghostfacers work out that she is not trapped in the mirror like Bloody Mary which Maggie said she read about in a "cheesy Carver Edlund book".
- His favorite movie is Beaches.
- He started writing because of a childhood crush on Nancy McKeon, the actress who played Jo on the TV show The Facts of Life. Chuck thinks he must have sent her 40-50 letters, but she never wrote back.
Sam and Dean find a series of books written about them, and through the publisher track down the author Carver Edlund - the pen name of writer Chuck Shurley. He reveals the stories come to him in dreams, and that he's continued writing even after the books stopped being published.
Chuck reveals his latest dream is of Sam and Lilith having "a night of fiery demonic passion." Sam asks Chuck if he knows about him drinking Demon Blood, which he does, and he confronts Sam about why he is doing it. Later Dean accuses Chuck of withholding information and attacks him, but is stopped by Castiel who reveals Chuck is a prophet of God, who is protected by an archangel.
Later Castiel gives Dean information on how to stop Lilith, revealing that Chuck is protected by an archangel who will intervene if Chuck is threatened. By putting Chuck in the same room with Lilith, the archangel threatens to appear and Lilith flees.
Following the confrontation with Lilith, Zachariah appears to Chuck after he has another vision. While it is not revealed what Chuck saw, he wants to warn Sam and Dean, but Zachariah tells him not to. Chuck threatens to kill himself, but Zachariah says they will only bring him back to life. In despair, Chuck asks what he should do. Zachariah replies "Do what you always do. Write".
Dean and Castiel appear at Chuck's place, just as he is ordering some hookers to see see out the end of the world. He tells them where Sam and Lilith are, but says they are not "in the story". Castiel retorts that they are making it up as they go. The Archangel , and other angels, appear in pursuit of Castiel and Dean, and Castiel stays with Chuck to let Dean try and stop Sam.
Media Tie-in: On the computer screen before Castiel and Dean show up, there is an e-mail address for Chuck: firstname.lastname@example.org. This address seems to be valid and active, although there has been no response, automated or otherwise, to date.
Sam and Dean arrive in Kripke's Hollow to find Chuck's house more chaotic than usual and also quite bloody. They ask if it's true that Castiel is dead. Chuck tells them, that Castiel practically exploded (one of Castiel's molars seems to have lodged in Chuck's hair). Zachariah and some of his "bodyguards" show up, and after a brief conversation in whichLucifer gone, Dean banishes them the Angel Banishing Sigil.
Later, Chuck messages Supernatural fan Becky Rosen, interrupting her work on her Wincest fan fiction, asking her to pass along a message to Sam and Dean. The message reveals that the angels are looking for Michael's Sword (later to be revealed to be Dean), and that it is to be found "in a castle, on a hill made of 42 dogs" (which turns out to be John's Lock-up).
In 2012, Lucifer's minions re-released the Croatoan demon virus - in this post-apocalyptic world, most humans have been reduced to murderous zombies. Future!Chuck is at Camp Chitaqua with Future!Dean, Future!Castiel and other survivors. Future!Chuck is in charge of supplies. Toilet paper, he informs Dean, is 'like gold'.
A hoarding on a dilapidated movie theatre advertises "Route 666" indicating that one of Chuck's "Supernatural" books was made into a movie.
Chuck is present at a Supernatural Convention, which fan Becky Rosen invites Sam and Dean to. When real ghosts start attacking people, Chuck has to step up and help keep everyone safe while Sam and Dean and Demian and Barnes fight the ghosts. His bravery impresses Becky who abandons her pursuit of Sam for a relationship with Chuck.