Devil's trap (symbol)
The devil’s trap is a mystical symbol used to imbolise and control demons. The devil’s traps seen in Supernatural all originate from The Lesser Key of Solomon, which is grimoire or magical text written in the 17th century. It contains rituals and spells for invoking and controlling both demons and angels.
- Dean paints a devil's trap under the Impala in order to trap the Crossroads Demon. When that fails he lures her under a water tower where he has painted another devil's trap.
- When Sam is possessed by the same demon who had possessed Meg, he is trapped by Bobby under the same symbol that trapped her. However the demon was gained new powers and breaks the symbol, freeing itself.
- Samuel Colt built a huge devil's trap 100 miles across in southern Wyoming. There is a church at each point and the sides of the pentacle are made of iron railroad lines. At the center, in an old cowboy cemetery, is a gate to hell.
- The opening title includes a devil's trap that dissolves into "Supernatural"
- Dean traps Walter Rosen who is possessed by Envy, in the trunk of Bobby's car, which has a devil's trap drawn inside it.
- In Isaac and Tamara's house, Bobby traps Gluttony under a devil's trap, and Sam tries to trap Pride.