Free 2 B Green
Press Release from The CW [04.23.07 - 02:36 PM]
- THE CW NETWORK PARTNERS WITH STOP GLOBAL WARMING VIRTUAL MARCH AND THE NATIONAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL FOR COMPREHENSIVE, PRO-SOCIAL ENVIRONMENTAL CAMPAIGN "FREE 2 B GREEN"
- Multi-Platform Initiative To Impact All Aspects Of The CW, Including Programming, Affiliates and Advertisers
- Network To Raise Awareness Through Public Service Announcements Running On Multiple Platforms And Featuring CW Stars
- All CW Series Will Produce An Environmentally Conscious Episode Next Season
- April 23, 2007 (Burbank, California) - The CW Network is partnering with Stop Global Warming Virtual March and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) for a comprehensive network-wide environmental campaign called "Free 2 B Green," it was announced today by Dawn Ostroff, President of Entertainment, The CW.
- "Without a doubt, The CW's target audience is the most socially conscious consumer ever," said Ostroff. "If we are going to properly reflect their world, we need to be out in front, doing all we can for the issues that they care about, and protecting the environment is at the top of the list. By embracing this campaign on all levels, our goal is to enable us, our affiliates and our advertisers to forge a long-term deep connection with our viewers, and help the environment as well."
- "Stopping global warming is going to take the efforts of all of us, and The CW gets that loud and clear," said activist and producer Laurie David of Stop Global Warming Virtual March. "By committing the network to going green, they are sending the message to millions of viewers, fans and affiliates that it's not about doing everything, it's about everyone doing something -- and The CW is leading the charge!"
- "The CW audience already is aware of our profound environmental challenges and is ready to act," said Frances Beinecke, president of NRDC. "These young people want to be part of the solution, and the partnership will help give them the tools they need to be effective."
- The CW's "Free 2 B Green" environmental outreach program will be a wide-ranging on-air, online, mobile and grassroots effort to generate environmental awareness and provide service opportunities for The CW's viewers, as well as opportunities for national and local sales and affiliates.
- To encourage viewer participation, The CW will produce multiple Public Service Announcements (PSAs), including Environmental Wraps, inspired by The CW's successful Content Wrap format, to run on the network and across The CW's local stations. These PSAs will feature The CW talent supporting non-profit environmental causes and provide tips to viewers on what they can do to help the environment and where to volunteer. Additional content will also be created in association with the PSAs for other platforms, including online and mobile.
- The producers and talent of The CW series will also join the campaign by organically integrating environmental themes into episodes next season.