|Location||Originally - Hell, since 2.22 - "the west" of the USA|
|Episode(s)||3.12 Jus in Bello|
Lilith is Sam's demonic rival. The demon Lilith is one of the most infamous in demonology. In ancient Hebrew tradition Lilith is depicted as Adam's first companion, created equally to Adam from the dust of the earth. In medieval Europe, Lilith was variously the wife, concubine or grandmother of Satan.
According to Hebrew tradition, the Lilin are Lilith's daughters and are dangerous demonic entities, considered in Hebraic writings to be the children born to Lilith after her escape from the garden of Eden. In Islamic tradition, once Lilith left Adam and joined with Shaitan/Iblis, their children became the djinn, humanoid creatures created from smokeless fire.
The etymology of 'Lilith' strongly points towards an association with night and with air, and later translations of the Bible have referred to Lilith as a 'screech owl.'
Within Paganism, Lilith has various standings. For followers of Wicca, Lilith tends to be seen as one of many names for the Goddess, the supreme feminine divine power. For other polytheistic Pagans, Lilith is often seen as a misunderstood deity or entity, an example of the denigrated feminine as the patriarchy gained prominence. She is often seen as;
- a fertility Goddess; on leaving the garden of Eden, Lilith was thought to have given birth to a hundred children a day
- a Goddess of unrepressed sexuality; the example of a woman at her sensual peak
- a Goddess of air and night; in the King James Bible, Lilith is referred to as the 'screech owl' and the etymology of her name indicates air related abilities and her region of power is in the night time
- a Dark Goddess; similar to the Hindu Dark Goddess, Kali-Ma, embodying the dark-side of the feminine
- a Goddess of Witches; in a role similar to that of the Goddess Hekate of the Greek pantheon
Lilith in Supernatural
The demon Tammi makes the first reference to her - though not by name - she tells Sam that a new leader has risen "in the west", and wants to kill him.
When Sam and Dean are caputred by the FBI and held at a local police station, they find themselves under siege by a horde of demons. When Ruby shows up to help, she explains that the demons are trying to kill Sam at Lilith's command. At the end of the episode Lilith shows up looking for Sam & Dean before destroying the sheriff's office and and killing everyone inside including Special Agent Victor Henriksen and Nancy Fitzgerald.
- Links to essays on Lilith in religion, folklore, and feminism
-  Lilith in the Encyclopaedia Mythica