|Powers and Abilities|| |
|Episode(s)||15.07 Last Call|
It's called a marid. It's a freaky-looking little thing, isn't it?! Ah. As long as you feed it, it gives you money, it gives you health, everything you dreamed of.
A marid is an amphibious humanoid monster that sustains itself by feeding off of the blood of its victims. Marids appear green and scaly, with horns protruding from their heads and fins on each sides of their jawlines. They have dark eyes and sharp jagged teeth.
While amphibious, the marid appears to be able to survive out of water with little difficulty.
Powers and abilities
- Blessings – If captured, a marid can grant the person holding it captive good health and wealth, so long as it is kept fed.
- Super strength – A marid appears strong enough to break down the metal door of its confinement.
- Decapitation – Cutting off the head of a marid appears to be an effective method of killing the creature.
15 years ago, after a rough case involving cultists in Arizona, Lee Webb ended up near Texhoma, Texas, on a hunt where he came across a marid. Learning that the marid can offer him money and health in exchange for being fed, Lee captured the creature and soon bought a bar -- Swayze's -- where he kept the marid locked away in the basement.
Lee's kidnapping of Angela Sullivan to feed the marid comes to the attention of Dean Winchester, who is surprised to find his old friend running Swayze's Bar. After a night of reminiscing, Lee offers to help Dean on his hunt, though he tries to set Dean on the wrong trail by directing him to a nearby lake. However, waitress Lorna suggests they check the wrecking yard, much to Lee's chagrin.
After Dean locates Angela's car (and her drained body in the trunk), Lee knocks Dean out and restrains him in the bar's basement, where he hooks Dean up to an IV. As the blood begins to drip out into the marid's cage, the creature appears and begins to feed. Dean is able to escape from his restraints, which causes the marid's feeding to stop, angering the monster enough to break free from confinement. After a short fight, Dean is able to decapitate the marid and throws its head at Lee's feet in the bar.
Marid in Lore
- Marid are mentioned in John's Journal in the page describing djinn in 7.12 Time After Time.
- In the role-playing tabletop game Dungeons & Dragons, marids are elemental creatures from the sea. This may be why the creature in the episode resembled the classic monster from the Creature from the Black Lagoon.