|Name||Mary Winchester (nee Campbell)|
|Actor|| Samantha Smith|
Amy Gumenick (young)
|Dates||December 5, 1954 - November 2, 1983|
|Episode(s)|| 1.01 Pilot|
2.20 What Is and What Should Never Be
2.21 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part One
4.03 In The Beginning (young Mary)
4.21 When The Levee Breaks
- Wife of John Winchester, mother of Dean and Sam
- Daughter of Deanna Campbell and Samuel Campbell
- Has at least one unnamed brother or uncle, who Sam and Dean have never met. He is mentioned in (2.04 Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (episode)).
- A draft script of the Pilot ages Mary in her late 20s at time of death.
- In Supernatural Origins 1, it is suggested that Mary's birthday is November 2.
- In February 1979, John and Mary go rafting in the Grand Canyon while on their honeymoon. Their raft flips, and John nearly drowns until Mary saves him. That night Dean is conceived.Origins 4
- Kept extensive journals (see The Journal (diary entries))
When Sam has visions about their old home, they find a malevolent spirit at work. When it attacks them, Mary's spirit appears in the room that was Sam's nursery as a flaming figure, and she sacrifices herself in order to banish the powerful poltergeist.
A Djinn uses a wish from Dean's mind - that Mary never died - to draw him into a dreamlike state while the creature feeds on Dean. In the fantasy world, Mary is still alive, Sam is at college and engaged to Jess, although he and Dean are estranged.
The Yellow-Eyed Demon shows Sam a vision of the night Mary died. It is revealed that she was killed because she interrupted him as he fed his blood to baby Sam, and that she recognized him.Sam learns for the first time that he was fed Demon Blood.
Dean is transported back to 1973 and discovers that Mary (nee Campbell) was a hunter, as were her parents. She was very capable but ambivalent about the life and wanted to leave for a safe life with her boyfriend John Winchester. She tells Dean the worst thing she can think of is having her children raised to be hunters. After her parents and her boyfriend, John Winchester, are killed, Mary agrees to the deal with Azazel.
Sam hallucinates his mother giving him support and urging him to continue drinking the Demon Blood when he is in withdrawal.
Dean and Sam travel back to 1978 to protect Mary and John from Anna, who wants to kill them before Sam is born. Mary has to reveal to John that she was raised a hunter. Den later explains the truth of the situation to her, proving her really is her son by telling her as as child she fed him tomato and rice soup when he was sick, because that's what her mother did for her, and that she sang him "Hey Jude" as a lullaby. He tells her she should leave John so that they don't have any children, but Mary is already pregnant with him.
Mary as a young woman
The "character" Mary as a young adult has been a major character in two episodes. Her first appearance as a young woman was in 4.03 In The Beginning; her second appearance was in 5.13 The Song Remains The Same.