After an Instagram post of the two of them in a recording studio in Austin appeared, Jensen confirmed at Salute to Supernatural Chicago 2019, he and Steve Carlson had been working on writing and recording original music together over the last eight months.
After a series of teaser photos and video clips, it was revealed that they were recording under the band name Radio Company.
- Clip of Jensen and Steve playing an original song "Cannonball".
- Clip of Jensen and Steve playing an original song "Let Me Be".
From the Radio Company website:
- Radio Company was formed in 2018 in Austin, TX as a collaboration between Jensen Ackles and Steve Carlson. The two have been writing and performing together for nearly 15 years. While roommates in Los Angeles the two developed a short hand in writing music together. Carlson’s award-winning 2014 Rockumentary, titled “Different Town”, was inspired by the song, of the same title, that was written by the two while traveling. A few years later, Ackles and Carlson relocated to Austin, TX and decided to form Radio Company. The duo recently recorded their debut album at the legendary Arlyn Studios. Other musicians on the album include Chris Masterson (Steve Earle, Son Volt, Shooter Jennings), Bukka Allen (Jack Ingram, Ryan Bingham, Joe Walsh), Warren Hood (Little Feat, Lyle Lovett, Bruce Robison, Alejandro Escovedo, Joe Ely), Brian Standefer (Ryan Bingham, Ben Kweller, Reckless Kelly).
- The long-awaited debut album comes out in Fall of 2019 and guarantees the dynamic songwriting and tasteful production which fans have come to love over the years.
- “To be honest our editor inquired about it. He said, ‘I know you did some music over the break, do you think we could take anything and plug it in?’ I wasn’t angling for that, I wasn’t pushing that, and in fact we didn’t even tell Bob or Andrew or anybody. We just floated it in there and waited to see if anybody said, ‘I don’t really care for that song, I don’t know who that is,'” Ackles says. “And nobody said that.”
In addition to “Sounds of Someday” Ackles says he had a few other music cues in his director’s cut, including a big one at the end.
- “Two of the three got taken out; mine was the last one standing,” he says of his new single. “That was a small victory. That was a nice vote of confidence, especially from a show that prides itself on music so much.”
The album was released the day after the episode aired, on November 8th 2019.