|Dates||July 19, 1814 - January 10, 1862|
|Episode(s)|| 1.20 Dead Man's Blood (mentioned)|
2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two (mentioned)
Samuel Colt is a hunter and the creator of the Colt - a gun that can kill nearly any supernatural being. He also designed the locked door to keep the portal to Hell known as the Devil's Gate from opening. The Devil's Gate and the Colt gun are linked together, the gun serves as the key to the gate, allowing it to be opened by inserting the Colt's muzzle into the key hole. He built a railroad of iron in the shape of a pentagram, with a church at each of the points, around the Devil's Gate to further ensure that it was demon-proof.
Looking for clues on how to kill Eve, Sam, Dean and Bobby search the Campbell Compound, where they learn that the ashes of a phoenix may kill her. Dean then find a copy of Samuel Colt's Journal which describes the death of a phoenix back in 1861.
Sam and Dean get Castiel to send them back to 1861. Samuel Colt has finished building the pentagram rail tracks and is living as a recluse - although he is still hunted by demons. He accepts the fact of Sam being from the future with equanimity, but refuses to help. Finally he does give Sam the Colt, which Dean uses to kill Elias Finch - the phoenix.
When Sam and Dean are pulled back to the present day without the ashes, they think the cause is lost, but then a courier arrives. He delivers a package to Sam sent 150 years ago by Samuel Colt. It contains Sam's phone - and a bottle containing the ashes of the phoenix.
The Real Samuel Colt
Samuel Colt (1814 - 1862) was the inventor of the Colt revolver, and founder of the Colt Firearms company. His huge achievement was inventing a functional design for a gun that could shoot multiple times before having to be reloaded. He was highly influential in the munitions industry and was a noted inventor and investor.
It should be noted that Samuel Colt spent 1835 in England and France, securing the first patent on his revolving-breech pistol. He returned home and obtained an American patent in 1836.